2001 – A Year of Consolidation
2001 was a year of big personalities and big stories, and in the news were Jennifer Aniston winning TV Awards and Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts taking multiple film awards. In January a report concluded that convicted killer and former doctor, Harold Shipman, had probably killed hundreds of patients prior to his arrest and subsequent imprisonment.
Golfer Tiger Woods was the darling of the golfing world and Pope John Paul II became the first Pope to enter a Mosque during a visit to Syria. The film Shrek was released, Tony Blair won his second term as Prime Minister and George W Bush was President of the US.
Locally another busy year for VANL – a year of development following the merger consolidation, maintaining the offices across North Lincolnshire:
- The Funding Adviser post was in its second year, providing excellent advice to hundreds of individuals
- Isle Community Connexions had established weekly lunch clubs across the Isle, expanded the Home Security Scheme, added in Gardening and Befriending to its services and were providing over 60s CLAIT courses
- Barton held a Voluntary Fair
- Staff from VANL undertook community research in Brigg, which identified amongst other issues, that lack of communication was an issue. As a result VANL founded the ‘About Brigg’ Newsletter.
- Apna Sahara remained strong, providing female basic personal safety, an elderly person’s survey and over 30 different leaflets had been translated.