Promoting, Developing And Supporting Voluntary Activity Within The Community
Voluntary Action North Lincolnshire (VANL) is a Registered Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee, governed by a Memorandum and Articles of Association adopted on 19th March 1997, amended on 7th October 2004 and again on 4th October 2007. The date of Incorporation was 1st April 1997. A Board of Trustees (15 in total) directs the policy and management of VANL. The members of the Board are Directors of the Company for the purpose of charity law. They are elected from the membership, or can be self-nominated as individual representatives if they have specialist skills that will complement the make-up of the Board, to serve for three years. They can also be co-opted annually if there are vacancies.
VANL’s purposes are the advancement of education, the protection of health and the relief of poverty, distress and sickness. These aims are pursued by bringing together voluntary and statutory organisations in Council and by encouraging co-operation between organisations.
VANL is a Council for Voluntary Service (CVS). Its core work is to support, promote and develop the voluntary and community sector (VCS) within North Lincolnshire. As well as its core activities for members, at any one time VANL manages a variety of projects running on both a small and large scale. VANL needs to evidence its work in five key areas, these are:
- Services and support to promote VCS effectiveness: ranging from typing and duplicating facilities to advice on charitable, organisational and funding matters, and community accountancy.
- Liaison: encouraging networking between groups within the sector and between the VCS and statutory and private sectors.
- Representation: through facilitating forums and other groups to ensure views are put forward on local policies.
- Development work: identifying gaps in service provision and working with the VCS groups to develop new services to meet those needs.
- Strategic partnerships: empowering local groups to take part in a wide range of partnerships.